From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2 --xattrs' failed with unknown option --xattrs
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 01:45:53
1 On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I booted x86_64 openSUSE 13.1 HD installation to try to begin Gentoo
3 > installation, beginning from "Unpacking the stage tarball" on
4 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Stage :
5 >
6 > # tar xvjpf /pub/stage3-sh4-20120307.tar.bz2 --xattrs
7 >
8 > Tar (GNU tar) v1.26 reported
9 >
10 > unrecognized option '--xattrs'
11 >
12 > Searching the tar man page for 'xattrs' produced no hits, and same for bzip2
13 > man page. I rebooted into Debian Jessie instead to try again, and the same
14 > command with Gnu tar 1.27.1 completed, apparently normally. ???
15
16 xattr support is optional in tar. In fact, with Gentoo you can set
17 USE=xattr or -xattr and get a tar with/without it. Apparently
18 OpenSUSE builds their tar without xattr support, while Debian includes
19 support for it.
20
21 System Rescue CD and the official Gentoo install CD both support xattr.
24 Rich