From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2 --xattrs' failed with unknown option --xattrs
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 03:20:58
1 On Wednesday, August 05, 2015 9:45:43 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > I booted x86_64 openSUSE 13.1 HD installation to try to begin Gentoo
4 > > installation, beginning from "Unpacking the stage tarball" on
5 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Stage :
6 > >
7 > > # tar xvjpf /pub/stage3-sh4-20120307.tar.bz2 --xattrs
8 > >
9 > > Tar (GNU tar) v1.26 reported
10 > >
11 > > unrecognized option '--xattrs'
12 > >
13 > > Searching the tar man page for 'xattrs' produced no hits, and same for
14 bzip2
15 > > man page. I rebooted into Debian Jessie instead to try again, and the same
16 > > command with Gnu tar 1.27.1 completed, apparently normally. ???
17 >
18 > xattr support is optional in tar. In fact, with Gentoo you can set
19 > USE=xattr or -xattr and get a tar with/without it. Apparently
20 > OpenSUSE builds their tar without xattr support, while Debian includes
21 > support for it.
22 >
23 > System Rescue CD and the official Gentoo install CD both support xattr.
27 At least with 1.27.1 if you build it without xattrs and you have all the xattr
28 deps installed you'll get a tar that appears to have it enabled but silently
29 ignores it when extracting.
32 Fernando Rodriguez