From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default settings in /etc/rc.conf
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:44:04
1 On Monday 06 Feb 2012 05:10:45 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/05/2012 03:01 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > You cannot trust the commented examples in rc.conf to be the defaults.
4 > > I reckon they are just that - typical examples.
5 > >
6 > > If you search through rc.conf for the word "default" you find quite a
7 > > few cases where the text says what the default is and the example is
8 > > something different. In other words, the default is, um, not actually
9 > > documented anywhere.
10 > >
11 > > This is a bit of a fail actually as you now have to fiddle with
12 > > settings, make them this, reboot, make them that, reboot, see what the
13 > > difference is. Sloppy maintenance if you ask me.
14 > >
15 > > I'd advise you to file a bug (feature request) asking for the defaults
16 > > to be clearly documented where someone other than the principle dev can
17 > > find them.
18 >
19 > You guys already did this thread:
20 >
21 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_513fd0fbcdf0fc95f5561684e80301f8
22 > .xml
23
24 It is both sloppy and unnecessarily confusing that some apps config files have
25 the default settings commented out and others not. This is getting more
26 complicated when some of these settings are optional. Of course, when
27 commented out an optional setting is not a default - but how would the
28 unsuspecting user know that?
29
30 My workaround is to explicitly set any settings that I know I need/want set,
31 but that makes it difficult for me to answer what the default settings are
32 (unless devs comments say so).
35 Regards,
36 Mick