From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default settings in /etc/rc.conf
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 05:11:53
1 On 02/05/2012 03:01 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > You cannot trust the commented examples in rc.conf to be the defaults.
4 > I reckon they are just that - typical examples.
5 >
6 > If you search through rc.conf for the word "default" you find quite a
7 > few cases where the text says what the default is and the example is
8 > something different. In other words, the default is, um, not actually
9 > documented anywhere.
10 >
11 > This is a bit of a fail actually as you now have to fiddle with
12 > settings, make them this, reboot, make them that, reboot, see what the
13 > difference is. Sloppy maintenance if you ask me.
14 >
15 > I'd advise you to file a bug (feature request) asking for the defaults
16 > to be clearly documented where someone other than the principle dev can
17 > find them.
20 You guys already did this thread:
21
22 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_513fd0fbcdf0fc95f5561684e80301f8.xml