From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default settings in /etc/rc.conf
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:03:43
1 On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:49:52 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 2012-02-05 1:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > They removed the setting because it broke a good bit of systems.
6 > > No one wanted to fix it, so they got rid of it. From my
7 > > understanding, if you still want the setting, you can leave it
8 > > there.
9 >
10 > Yeah, I fugured out that much, but my main question was about the
11 > defaults...
12 >
13 > What *are* the defaults? Is the example setting that is commented out
14 > the default?
17 You cannot trust the commented examples in rc.conf to be the defaults.
18 I reckon they are just that - typical examples.
19
20 If you search through rc.conf for the word "default" you find quite a
21 few cases where the text says what the default is and the example is
22 something different. In other words, the default is, um, not actually
23 documented anywhere.
24
25 This is a bit of a fail actually as you now have to fiddle with
26 settings, make them this, reboot, make them that, reboot, see what the
27 difference is. Sloppy maintenance if you ask me.
28
29 I'd advise you to file a bug (feature request) asking for the defaults
30 to be clearly documented where someone other than the principle dev can
31 find them.
34 Alan McKinnnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com