From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] auto mounting and umounting flash drives using udev rule
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:51:51
1 On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:58:07 -0300, Francisco Ares wrote:
2
3 > Regarding umounting, it umounts the drive after it is removed, which
4 > looks strange (to say the least) to me.
5
6 Udev doesn't know you want to remove the drive until you've pulled it.
7 Apparently, a future release of systemd will be able to predict when you
8 want to remove the drive as it will control everything you do.
9
10 > Did I miss something? Or, in other words, is there a way of forcing
11 > operations on a usb flash media to always flush buffers and/or caches as
12 > fast as possible?
13
14 Mount it with the sync option. On the other hand, this increases the
15 number of writes to the drive, quickly killing performance and slowly
16 killing the drive.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 We all know what comes after 'X', said Tom, wisely.