From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:57:25
1 Bruce Schultz <brulzki <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Note that default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a profile is building on the
5 > arch/arm/armv7a (what you searched against).
8 I think all possible profiles for each and every type of gentoo install
9 should either be readily available on any installed gentoo system, or
10 on the net or otherwise easy to parse.
13 > As I understand it, the profiles in arch/arm don't contain any packages
14 files, so there's no <at> system packages to list (as you found). I presume
15 that the arch/arm/... profiles are intended to define compiler flags etc for
16 cpu variants, and are used as a basis of a more complete profile (such as
17 default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a). If you look through
18 /usr/portage/profiles/profiles.desc, you see the list of all profiles which
19 would be selectable through 'eselect profile', and I don't find and arch/...
20 profiles listed in there.
23 Correct. It's an inconsistent mess, imho. Being able to readily parse
24 the packages on a given (arch/processor/profile) install would be a keen
25 tool before making hardware purchases. Embedded to full distro are blurring
26 the landscape, particularly as arm64 emerges. Also, my cluster build work is
27 surprisingly revealing that HPC and general prupose clusters are best build
28 on bare metal or embedded linux systems, particularly but not limited to
29 performance gains. Gentoo use to "king" in the embedded linux space
30 and it's an odd (for sure) reality that building clusters, clouds or data
31 centers on embedded linux is moving forward at a very rapid pace.
32
33 I certainly do not wish to alienate or detract from the excellent work our
34 dev community has achieved. But, embedded (gentoo) linux and cluster/cloud
35 computing could easily put gentoo on top of the heap again. Surely gentoo is
36 uniquely positioned to build clusters that are not on top of 'bloatware'!
37
38 > Hope that helps...
39 > Bruce
40
41 YES, and I appreciated every comment!
44 later,
45 James