From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems getting systemd to work
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 17:01:40
1 On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 5:53 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
5 >> > Am 15.05.2014 22:38, schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
6 >> >
7 >> >> image=/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.2-gentoo
8 >> >
9 >> > phew. 3.6.2 is from October 2012 ...
10 >> > Did you recompile it with the suggested options for systemd?
11 >> >
12 >> > Maybe it doesn't matter, but just a thought ... that kernel is quite old.
13 >>
14 >> It doesn't matter, at least in theory systemd works with linux-3.0.
15 >>
16 >> John, could you please send the output from dracut --print-cmdline? In
17 >> my case, it lists *ALL* my lvms, and (I think) therefore all of them
18 >> are mounted.
19 >>
20 >> Since your lilo.conf only lists rd.lvm.lv=linux-files/64-root and
21 >> rd.lvm.lv=linux-files/64-usr, I think that would explain why it
22 >> doesn't mount the others.
23 >>
24 >> If dracut --print-cmdline doesn't print the others, could you try to
25 >> boot with rd.lvm.lv=linux-files/audio in the kernel command line
26 >> specified in your lilo.conf? If after booting /audio is mounted, then
27 >> I think we have found the problem. We'll need just to figure out why
28 >> dracut --print-cmdline does not print the other lvms.
29 >>
30 >> Also, could you try to generate your initramfs again, but this time
31 >> with add_dracutmodules+="systemd lvm"?
32 > The secret to activate all the volumes, is to specify the volume groups
33 > instead of each volume -- that got them all activated, but systemd still
34 > is not working well. The print-cmdline still just prints the volumes
35 > necessary to mount the root and user file systems, which makes sense,
36 > but why the rest of them do not activate, I have no clue.
37
38 I don't understand the current situation .So now you get ALL your
39 volumes activated, or not?
40
41 > Now for some systemd problems. The root file system was read only when
42 > I logged in, but I could remount it rw -- not sure why this was
43 > happening.
44
45 Set systemd.log_level=debug in your command line, and post the exit
46 from journalctl -b.
47
48 > Some units did start, but most did not. Whenever I tried to
49 > start one manually, I got a message like the following:
50 > I wrote
51 > systemctl start /usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service and got the error
52 > that it was unable to start because
53 > it could not find ntpd.service.mount:]
54 > May 16 01:59:52 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Failed to load configuration
55 > for usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount: No such file or directory
56 > May 16 01:59:52 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Trying to enqueue job
57 > usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount/start/replace
58 > May 16 01:59:53 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Sent message type=error
59 > sender=n/a destination=n/a object=n/a interface=n/a member=n/a cookie=1
60 > reply_cookie=1 erro\r=Unit usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount
61 > failed to load: No such file or directory.
62 > May 16 01:59:53 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Failed to process message
63 > [type=method_call sender=n/a path=/org/freedesktop/systemd1
64 > interface=org.freedesktop.sys\temd1.Manager member=StartUnit
65 > signature=ss]: Unit usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount failed to
66 > load: No such file or directory.
67 >
68 > No matter what unit I tried to start I would get such a message about
69 > the service.mount.
70
71 That sounds like a problem with the cgroups hierarchy (which uses a
72 virtual filesystem). I don't remember seeing a problem like that
73 before.
74
75 > Also, even though my network names were correct, they did not come up,
76 > but I will try to look in the logs to see why not.
77
78 systemd will not (AFAIK) start your network, and before the 209 or 210
79 version it needed helper program (NetwokrManager, connman, ip,
80 ifconfig, etc.) to do it. Now it includes networkd, but you need to
81 set up .network files (like .service files) to configure it. See [1].
82
83 > So we have made some progress, but still a long way to go yet. Note
84 > also, that I am not booting into a display manager, just a regular
85 > console.
88 > What a lot of work just to get the system booted!
89
90 Well, you have a setup that is not, by any means, simple. Also, in my
91 experience old LVM configurations seem to cause a lot of troubles to
92 bring to what systemd expects.
93
94 John, could you also post here your kernel config? Those cgroups
95 errors *may* be related to some missing functionality from the kernel.
96
97 Regards.
98 --
99 Canek Peláez Valdés
100 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias