From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems getting systemd to work
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 10:54:01
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
4 > > Am 15.05.2014 22:38, schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
5 > >
6 > >> image=/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.2-gentoo
7 > >
8 > > phew. 3.6.2 is from October 2012 ...
9 > > Did you recompile it with the suggested options for systemd?
10 > >
11 > > Maybe it doesn't matter, but just a thought ... that kernel is quite old.
12 >
13 > It doesn't matter, at least in theory systemd works with linux-3.0.
14 >
15 > John, could you please send the output from dracut --print-cmdline? In
16 > my case, it lists *ALL* my lvms, and (I think) therefore all of them
17 > are mounted.
18 >
19 > Since your lilo.conf only lists rd.lvm.lv=linux-files/64-root and
20 > rd.lvm.lv=linux-files/64-usr, I think that would explain why it
21 > doesn't mount the others.
22 >
23 > If dracut --print-cmdline doesn't print the others, could you try to
24 > boot with rd.lvm.lv=linux-files/audio in the kernel command line
25 > specified in your lilo.conf? If after booting /audio is mounted, then
26 > I think we have found the problem. We'll need just to figure out why
27 > dracut --print-cmdline does not print the other lvms.
28 >
29 > Also, could you try to generate your initramfs again, but this time
30 > with add_dracutmodules+="systemd lvm"?
31 The secret to activate all the volumes, is to specify the volume groups
32 instead of each volume -- that got them all activated, but systemd still
33 is not working well. The print-cmdline still just prints the volumes
34 necessary to mount the root and user file systems, which makes sense,
35 but why the rest of them do not activate, I have no clue.
36
37 Now for some systemd problems. The root file system was read only when
38 I logged in, but I could remount it rw -- not sure why this was
39 happening. Some units did start, but most did not. Whenever I tried to
40 start one manually, I got a message like the following:
41 I wrote
42 systemctl start /usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service and got the error
43 that it was unable to start because
44 it could not find ntpd.service.mount:]
45 May 16 01:59:52 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Failed to load configuration
46 for usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount: No such file or directory
47 May 16 01:59:52 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Trying to enqueue job
48 usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount/start/replace
49 May 16 01:59:53 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Sent message type=error
50 sender=n/a destination=n/a object=n/a interface=n/a member=n/a cookie=1
51 reply_cookie=1 erro\r=Unit usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount
52 failed to load: No such file or directory.
53 May 16 01:59:53 ccs kernel: <31>systemd[1]: Failed to process message
54 [type=method_call sender=n/a path=/org/freedesktop/systemd1
55 interface=org.freedesktop.sys\temd1.Manager member=StartUnit
56 signature=ss]: Unit usr-lib-systemd-system-ntpd.service.mount failed to
57 load: No such file or directory.
58
59 No matter what unit I tried to start I would get such a message about
60 the service.mount.
61
62 Also, even though my network names were correct, they did not come up,
63 but I will try to look in the logs to see why not.
64
65 So we have made some progress, but still a long way to go yet. Note
66 also, that I am not booting into a display manager, just a regular
67 console.
70 What a lot of work just to get the system booted!
73 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
74 How do
75 you spend it?
76
77 John Covici