From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update world problem (looks like slot confusion on my part)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 21:45:34
1 On 19/06/2014 23:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> First thing: I understand why you want to go testing -> stable, but at
4 >> least leave portage unstable. A *lot* of ancient stuff has been fixed in
5 >> ~arch, it's perfectly safe and robust, and most especially all that
6 >> stupid "no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot"
7 >> has gone away, replaced with something that a) works and b) makes sense
8 >> and c) does not reduce the poor sysadmin (i.e you) to tears
9 >
10 > Stable is only three months older than ~arch, though it may very well
11 > be much better (can't say I've used the ~arch version). Portage has
12 > fortunately been keeping up much better on stable of late.
13
14 Yes, that is true. It's also the one package we Gentoo'ers use more
15 often than anything else, so any non-optimumness shows up very quickly,
16 and gets noticed.
19 > If there are packages that simply aren't acceptable in their stable
20 > versions, I'd call that a bug...
21
22 I wouldn't go that far :-)
23
24 Stable portage gets the job done (after all, the stable code was in
25 unstable for a long time and we all dealt with it OK).
26
27 As I see it, it's a simple question of effectively communicating the
28 information that portage has to the user. If the dev wants to rate this
29 as a bug then it's already fixed in ~arch and the next step is to
30 stabilize that code
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com