From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox-bin optimizations?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:31:22
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Johannes Kimmel <johannes.kimmel@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On 09/30/2010 12:58 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Heya,
5 >> I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
6 >> compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.
7 >>
8 >> Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
9 >> firefox? I turned off the custom-optimization USE on mine assuming
10 >> that it would follow upstream optimizations, but maybe it doesn't.
13 > I thought firefox-bin is a 32-bit binary. If you are using a 64-bit gentoo
14 > it is likely you self compiled version is a lot bigger.
15
16 That's right, firefox-bin is a 32bit binary, but I didn't expect the
17 Virt size to have a nearly 3x difference (855MB vs 355MB) when loading
18 the same tabs and running the same profile, or the Res size to have
19 nearly double (200MB vs 130MB).
20
21 Is this a speed vs size tradeoff thing? Because I noticed that my
22 compiled firefox is doing something like 10-30 points higher in the
23 google v8 benchmark than firefox-bin. But that's relatively a small
24 improvement, I think my system would do better overall with the giant
25 memory use reduction.
26
27 Or is there an issue with having both firefoxes using the same profile
28 dirs (not at the same time though).
31 This email is:    [ ] actionable   [ ] fyi        [ ] social
32 Response needed:  [ ] yes          [ ] up to you  [ ] no
33 Time-sensitive:   [ ] immediate    [ ] soon       [ ] none