From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Off-Topic] arch-openrc
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 21:05:43
1 On Wednesday 08 Mar 2017 14:08:00 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Well what do you know?! Alternative to monolithic stack solutions now
4 > > exist as alternatives for other distros too:
5 > >
6 > > https://sourceforge.net/projects/archopenrc/
7 > >
8 > > PS. I do not wish to kick off a flame war on this topic, enough electrons
9 > > have been wasted in past rants. Just to inform those who may be
10 > > interested in this.
11 >
12 > Interesting. It looks like they bundle all their openrc scripts in
13 > the openrc package. I was curious about this since the right place to
14 > put scripts is one of those things that tends to come up in debate.
15 >
16 > In Gentoo openrc, systemd, and anything else keep their scripts in the
17 > packages they go with.
18 >
19 > Pros:
20 > - You don't end up with scripts for packages you don't use.
21 > - The openrc/systemd/runit/upstart/etc packages don't get bumped 3
22 > times per week when any script changes anywhere (IMO the biggest
23 > driver)
24 > - If upstream provides the scripts (common for systemd, less so for
25 > openrc but it may happen) then make install can take care of them
26 >
27 > Cons:
28 > - You do end up with scripts for service managers you don't use
29 > (assuming you don't mask them).
30 > - Individual package maintainers have to be at least somewhat
31 > concerned with these scripts even if they don't use the service
32 > manager they apply to.
33 >
34 > I think the Gentoo way is better because of the elimination of bumps.
35 > However, Arch is much more strongly in the systemd camp (as I
36 > understand it), so I suspect there would be more resistance there to
37 > maintaining openrc scripts inside individual packages. So, openrc
38 > ended up having to bundle them all in one package. The Gentoo
39 > approach took a Council decision as some package maintainers objected
40 > to the inclusion of systemd units. Other than the initial debate IMO
41 > it has gone smoothly since.
42 >
43 > And a parting bit of trivia: The overwhelming majority of
44 > Gentoo-based installations use upstart as their service manager,
45 > despite it not even being in the Gentoo repository.
46
47 Ha! I didn't know this. I thought upstart was a *buntu feature only.
48
49 Yes, the gentoo way of package-provided openrc scripts makes more sense to me
50 too, especially for gentoo where no two systems are alike. On binary distros
51 it may be easier for repos to provide a big openrc package with all their
52 scripts bundled in there, but if you want to deviate from the vanilla distro
53 then you're on your own.
54 --
55 Regards,
56 Mick