From: "paulie.x" <jcd@××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with UNICODE and man pages encoding
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:18:38
1 Hans-Werner Hilse napsal(a):
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:07:52 +0100 (CET) paulie.x <JCD@××××××.cz> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> So to the OP: Configure your terminal accordingly (for console: set
7 >>> consoletrans and -font correctly) or if you didn't yet, install a
8 >>> unicode-aware terminal program.
9 >> It is not true because I'm already using UNICODE in terminal.
10 >> Just man pages are still displayed worst. When I uncompressed one local
11 >> man page and viewed raw text (cat man.1 | less) in my terminal, I can
12 >> see correct UNICODE characters (among format sequences).
13 >
14 > Did you read the comment in man.conf? It says there is a problem with
15 > double conversion to unicode but basically tells to use "nroff -mandoc"
16 > without -T option for utf-8 output.
17 >
18 > Sorry, but these are all my suggestions left...
19 >
20 > -hwh
21
22 OK. This is in /etc/man.conf:
23
24 --------------------------------------------------------------------------
25 ...
26
27 # Useful paths - note that COL should not be defined when
28 # NROFF is defined as "groff -Tascii" or "groff -Tlatin1";
29 # not only is it superfluous, but it actually damages the output.
30 # For use with utf-8, NROFF should be "nroff -mandoc" without -T option.
31 # (Maybe - but today I need -Tlatin1 to prevent double conversion to utf8.)
32 #
33 # If you have a new troff (version 1.18.1?) and its colored output
34 # causes problems, add the -c option to TROFF, NROFF, JNROFF.
35 #
36 TROFF /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc
37 NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tascii -c -mandoc
38 JNROFF /usr/bin/groff -Tnippon -mandocj
39 EQN /usr/bin/geqn -Tps
40 NEQN /usr/bin/geqn -Tlatin1
41 JNEQN /usr/bin/geqn -Tnippon
42 TBL /usr/bin/gtbl
43 # COL /usr/bin/col
44 REFER /usr/bin/refer
45 PIC /usr/bin/pic
46 VGRIND
47 GRAP
48 PAGER /usr/bin/less -is
49 BROWSER /usr/bin/less -is
50 HTMLPAGER /bin/cat
51 CAT /bin/cat
52
53 ...
54 --------------------------------------------------------------------------
55
56 Original gives for czech (cs_CZ.UTF-8 locale) word "zformátuje":
57
58 with origianl settings: "zformAituje"
59
60 I tried this changes:
61
62 NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
63
64 TROFF /usr/bin/groff -Tlatin1 -mandoc
65 NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
66
67 NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tutf8 -c -mandoc
68
69 TROFF /usr/bin/groff -Tlatin1 -mandoc
70 NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tutf8 -c -mandoc
71
72 but all gives "zformátuje".
73
74 Maybe this is just some stupid and irrelevant problem. But I think that
75 good localization and i18n of Gentoo will be good for linux on desktops
76 ( show that linux can do it ;] ). And probably I'm not such a good
77 programmer to find others mistakes (But I'm interested to know the cause).
84 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list