From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 21:57:56
1 2018-02-08 21:17 GMT+02:00 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > gevisz wrote:
3 >> I never used tmpfs for portage TMPDIR before and now decided to give it a try.
4 >>
5 >> I have 8GB of RAM and 12GB of swap on a separate partition.
6 >>
7 >> Do I correctly understood https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
8 >> that I can safely set in the fstab the size of my tmpfs to 12GB so
9 >> that the chromium
10 >> could be emerged in tmpfs (using the swap) without the need to set notmpfs.conf
11 >> for chromium and the likes.
12 >>
13 >> And I am going to set the whole /var/tmp/ on tpmfs instead of just
14 >> /var/tmp/portage
15 >> Is it ok?
16 >
17 > I have 16GBs of memory here and have /var/tmp/portage/ on tmpfs, no
18 > ccache. With the growing size of packages, I've had to put several on
19 > regular spinning rust to make sure enough space is available. This is
20 > my list, so far.
21 >
22 > www-client/firefox
23 > www-client/seamonkey
24 > app-office/libreoffice
25 > sys-devel/gcc
26 > dev-qt/qtwebengine
27 > dev-qt/qtwebkit
28
29 Thank you for your reply and the notmpfs exception list.
30 I think it would be helpfull not only for me.
31
32 > Those are the ones that tend to run into space problems. Keep in mind,
33 > I have twice the memory you have. As someone else pointed out, if you
34 > start using swap, that generally defeats the purpose of tmpfs.
35 >
36 > While I'm sure plenty of packages will make good use of portage being on
37 > tmpfs, there will be quite a few that will have space problems. You
38 > will need to be ready to make exceptions for those as they show up but
39 > those in my list are certainly ones that you may want to add before
40 > trying. There could be exceptions to this based on your habits and
41 > memory requirements for other things but that is my experience so far.
42 >
43 > Hope that helps.
44 >
45 > Dale