From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4 printer config question
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 06:18:44
1 On Tuesday 09 March 2010 05:15:38 Roy Wright wrote:
2 > On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:54 PM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
3 > > Roy, without being presumptuous, I would say that using D.E. (Desktop
4 > > Environment) tools for printing are not the best because of
5 > > inconsistency in layout and authentication problems. My suggestion is
6 > > to open up your web browser and use localhost:631 in the address bar to
7 > > access CUPS and do it this way. My line of reasoning is that you want
8 > > consistency, which is what you get with this method. Printers
9 > > configured in this way are available in your chosen D.E. In my
10 > > use-case, I have an HP usb printer which can connect via cat 6 cable and
11 > > I also use KDE 4.3. I have configured the printer with CUPS via a web
12 > > browser and have few issues.
13 > >
14 > > I trust that helps.
15 > >
16 > > Damien
17 >
18 > I agree, but am wanting to give kde 4.4.1 a try at handling the printer
19 > just to see if it can do it. Currently the answer is either no or I
20 > haven't found a required configuration change.
21
22 I would set it up using CUPS as Damien suggested and then KDE should pick up
23 the settings without any additional effort on your behalf - i.e. I would think
24 that the "server settings" would no longer be disabled (as long as you have
25 listen to more than the default 127.0.0.1 in cupsd.conf).
28 Regards,
29 Mick