From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4 printer config question
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 05:15:02
1 On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:54 PM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
2
3 > Roy, without being presumptuous, I would say that using D.E. (Desktop
4 > Environment) tools for printing are not the best because of
5 > inconsistency in layout and authentication problems. My suggestion is
6 > to open up your web browser and use localhost:631 in the address bar to
7 > access CUPS and do it this way. My line of reasoning is that you want
8 > consistency, which is what you get with this method. Printers
9 > configured in this way are available in your chosen D.E. In my
10 > use-case, I have an HP usb printer which can connect via cat 6 cable and
11 > I also use KDE 4.3. I have configured the printer with CUPS via a web
12 > browser and have few issues.
13 >
14 > I trust that helps.
15 >
16 > Damien
19 I agree, but am wanting to give kde 4.4.1 a try at handling the printer just to see if it can do it. Currently the answer is either no or I haven't found a required configuration change.
20
21 Thank you,
22 Roy