From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 00:35:50
1 On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 07 August 2012 23:39:05 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dead out of the box is dead. However a drive failing in a couple of
5 >> months _might_ have showed up in the smartctl output ...
6 >
7 > I wonder. Does anyone here know what most often causes HD failure after
8 > a couple of months? I imagine it's some component whose material is
9 > substandard, in which case it might show up with smartclt or it might
10 > not. I dunno.
11 >
12 > --
13 > Rgds
14 > Peter
17 This has come up before on this list I think. This is the overarching
18 sort of thinking about failure over lifetime...
19
20 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve