From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 07:08:07
1 On Wednesday 08 August 2012 01:32:55 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Peter Humphrey
3 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > On Tuesday 07 August 2012 23:39:05 Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > >> Dead out of the box is dead. However a drive failing in a couple
6 > >> of months _might_ have showed up in the smartctl output ...
7 > >
8 > > I wonder. Does anyone here know what most often causes HD failure
9 > > after a couple of months? I imagine it's some component whose
10 > > material is substandard, in which case it might show up with
11 > > smartclt or it might not. I dunno.
12 > >
13 > > --
14 > > Rgds
15 > > Peter
16 >
17 > This has come up before on this list I think.
18
19 I must have missed it then.
20
21 > This is the overarching sort of thinking about failure over
22 > lifetime...
23 >
24 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve
25
26 Yes, I'm familiar with that idea thanks. I was wondering what specific
27 causes were most implicated.
30 Rgds
31 Peter