From: sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adaptec 29160 Setup
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:30:04
1 Bob Sanders wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:07:42 -0400
3 > sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I am able to see the scsi cdrw and the jaz drive.
6 >> Tried mounting the jaz drive but as expected it failed, the format of
7 >> the unit cartridge is UFS. But it at least saw it, assigned it, and
8 >> tried to mount when I manually tried.
11 > Under - File Systems --> Miscellaneous filesystems --> enable UFS
12 >
13 >> However the scsi cdrw is still not working.
14 >> Again, as you can see it dmesg shows the device. However it is not
15 >> assigning it a dev.
16 >
17 > Could be a udev issue?
18 >
19 > But, just for grins, under Device Drivers --> Block devices, enable Packet
20 > writing on CD/DVD media. The defaults should be ok for that selection.
21 >
22 > Also, I note I neglected to have you select Device Drivers --> SCSI device -->
23 > SCSI generic support, but it seems to be in the kernel.
24 >
25 > And under File Systems --> CD-ROM/DVD filesystems --> ISO 9660 CDROM system
26 > support is selected? Probably have to be if sr0: works, of course add UDF
27 > file system if it's no selected.
28 >
29 > By chance have you done an etc-update/dispatch-conf since the last udev
30 > update that occured this week?
31 >
32 > Bob
33 > -
34
35 Hi Bob,
36
37 Thought you might be interested on how things went. Sorry for the
38 delay, I am recovering from an injury I suffered a little over a week ago.
39
40 Anyway, due to not being able to troubleshoot the SCSI cd-rom problem
41 for a while, and some other things I had half done, I decided to
42 reinstall Gentoo from scratch. It was a new build so not like I had
43 anything to loose.
44
45 Once the build was completed, and made sure I included your options you
46 suggested for troubleshooting with the initial build of the kernel I booted.
47
48 Still could not access the scsi cd-rom. At least it was being assigned
49 again, but unable to access. One thing I noticed in dmesg is that my
50 sata dvd unit was showing up with the same identification, which they
51 both are plextor brands, but that is where it ends, one is a scsi cdrw
52 and the other a sata dvd burner.
53
54 sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
55 sr 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
56 sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
57
58 Tried mounting the dvd unit, worked fine. Tried the cdrw, no luck,
59 stated no medium present.
60
61 With the above info, decided to disconnect the sata dvd. After system
62 restarted, the scsi cdrw fired up perfectly.
63
64 Brought system down, reconnected the sata dvd unit and after power up,
65 both units are now working. In fact the dmesg statements are from the
66 working config, though it was the same when it was not working.
67
68 At this time all I have done is tried mounting the units and was able to
69 view the contents, have not tried burning anything at this time. Still
70 putting system together.
71
72 Anyway I do not have a cause for the problem. Some how my sata unit and
73 scsi unit were conflicting with each other it would appear.
74 My scsi kernel settings have the suggestions you made, and all else that
75 is there by default.
76 I am reluctant to mess with the scsi kernel settings after things are
77 finally working.
78
79 Previously when I played with the settings one of my to units
80 disappeared and I was unable to get it back.
81
82 Thanks for your help,
83 Sean
86 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list