From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adaptec 29160 Setup
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 03:20:00
1 Hi Sean,
4 On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:22:51 -0400
5 sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
8 > Thought you might be interested on how things went. Sorry for the
9 > delay, I am recovering from an injury I suffered a little over a week ago.
10 >
11 > Anyway, due to not being able to troubleshoot the SCSI cd-rom problem
12 > for a while, and some other things I had half done, I decided to
13 > reinstall Gentoo from scratch. It was a new build so not like I had
14 > anything to loose.
15 >
16 > Once the build was completed, and made sure I included your options you
17 > suggested for troubleshooting with the initial build of the kernel I booted.
18 >
19 > Still could not access the scsi cd-rom. At least it was being assigned
20 > again, but unable to access. One thing I noticed in dmesg is that my
21 > sata dvd unit was showing up with the same identification, which they
22 > both are plextor brands, but that is where it ends, one is a scsi cdrw
23 > and the other a sata dvd burner.
24 >
25 > sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
26 > sr 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
27 > sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
30 Ah, but the problem is that it only thinks there is one type of drive.
31 One of the above drives should show as a DVD capable drive. Not just
32 as a CD-ROM/ writer.
33
34 > Tried mounting the dvd unit, worked fine. Tried the cdrw, no luck,
35 > stated no medium present.
38 So what it seems to be doing is the first drive it finds - SATA shows up
39 first, becomes the only drive it cares about. But, again, why?
40
41 > With the above info, decided to disconnect the sata dvd. After system
42 > restarted, the scsi cdrw fired up perfectly.
45 Makes sense.
46
47 > Brought system down, reconnected the sata dvd unit and after power up,
48 > both units are now working. In fact the dmesg statements are from the
49 > working config, though it was the same when it was not working.
52 I wonder if the SCSI cable was not quite seated or had oxidized pins?
53
54 > At this time all I have done is tried mounting the units and was able to
55 > view the contents, have not tried burning anything at this time. Still
56 > putting system together.
57 >
58 > Anyway I do not have a cause for the problem. Some how my sata unit and
59 > scsi unit were conflicting with each other it would appear.
60 > My scsi kernel settings have the suggestions you made, and all else that
61 > is there by default.
62 > I am reluctant to mess with the scsi kernel settings after things are
63 > finally working.
66 I hope they continue to work.
67
68 > Previously when I played with the settings one of my to units
69 > disappeared and I was unable to get it back.
70 >
71 > Thanks for your help,
72 > Sean
76 Take care,