From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 04:07:15
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> So, another question. Is there a tool that is local and would do
4 >> something like this? I am using Seamonkey 2.0 nowadays. It seems to
5 >> have some tools available to it that the old Seamonkey doesn't.
6 >>
7 >> Dale
8 >>
9 >> :-) :-)
12 > There is a tool I've used in the past called PasswordMaker. It uses a
13 > master password and a flexible set of parameters to generate passwords
14 > and if necessary, enter them on a site.
15 >
16 > It has a plugin for firefox and I believe seamonkey too. I can't check
17 > this second because their site appears to be down (bandwidth
18 > exceeded). It doesn't store the passwords anywhere and will only store
19 > the master password on your machine if you specifically ask for it.
20 >
21 > Once you enter the master password and select the appropriate settings
22 > (length, character set, hashing algorithm etc etc), the password will
23 > be generated. You can also use the current website as a salt, so using
24 > the same settings will yield a different password for different sites.
25 >
26 > Sounds like I'm advocating this very heavily, in fact I don't have
27 > much experience with it. It sounds reasonable to me, but I'll let you
28 > guys discuss it :)
29 >
30 > Matt
34 I saw this on the plugin site. I notice it generates passwords but I'm
35 pretty good at that myself. I doubt anyone would guess my password for
36 my bank and credit card. They are not based on anything, not birth
37 dates, Social Security number, account number or anything like that. I
38 used to use a password that had some of the characters above the number
39 keys but I got tired of typing all that mess in. It may be more secure
40 with them but the bank chose to block my password manager from filling
41 them in automatically. I changed it to something easier to type in.
42 Also had a few rounds with the bank too. The changes they made do not
43 make anything more secure than it already was. Several universities did
44 studies and some of them said it made things worse by providing a false
45 sense of security.
46
47 I did not notice that it had a fill in feature tho. It may not work
48 with my bank but I may try it since it appears to be a local thing and
49 doesn't transmit anything to a third party. Lastpass seems to do this.
50
51 Thanks.
52
53 Dale