From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:23:56
1 Dale wrote:
2 > So, another question. Is there a tool that is local and would do
3 > something like this? I am using Seamonkey 2.0 nowadays. It seems to
4 > have some tools available to it that the old Seamonkey doesn't.
5 >
6 > Dale
7 >
8 > :-) :-)
11 There is a tool I've used in the past called PasswordMaker. It uses a
12 master password and a flexible set of parameters to generate passwords
13 and if necessary, enter them on a site.
14
15 It has a plugin for firefox and I believe seamonkey too. I can't check
16 this second because their site appears to be down (bandwidth exceeded).
17 It doesn't store the passwords anywhere and will only store the master
18 password on your machine if you specifically ask for it.
19
20 Once you enter the master password and select the appropriate settings
21 (length, character set, hashing algorithm etc etc), the password will be
22 generated. You can also use the current website as a salt, so using the
23 same settings will yield a different password for different sites.
24
25 Sounds like I'm advocating this very heavily, in fact I don't have much
26 experience with it. It sounds reasonable to me, but I'll let you guys
27 discuss it :)
28
29 Matt