From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 02:45:39
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 >
3 > On 28 Nov 2009, at 22:03, Dale wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> And to think I came here to ask others opinion BEFORE doing this. I
6 >> was curious as to how this could work myself and if they can be
7 >> trusted, or SHOULD be trusted. Seems everyone thinks no one should.
10 > Everyone's yakking it up because it makes them look clever.
11 >
12 > There's no reason encrypted data can't be stored on the server, then
13 > decrypted client-side in the web-browser or by using Java (or possibly
14 > even Javascript).
15 >
16 > That's not saying it IS secure, just that such an infrastructure
17 > should be possible, as much as we consider things like ssh, https &c
18 > to be "secure".
19 >
20 > The "Why LastPass is safe" page <https://lastpass.com/safety.php> is
21 > indeed bullet-points for idiots, and if that was the only information
22 > available on the site then I, too, might be more suspicious. If you
23 > look at the "Technology" summary on the site it looks far more
24 > reasonable: <https://lastpass.com/technology.php>. Perhaps some other
25 > commenters should have read this before posting?
26 >
27 > Would I trust LastPass with child porn or incriminating information
28 > regarding my plans to overthrow the government?
29 > No, I really think not.
30 >
31 > Would I trust it with my bank details and my Slashdot password?
32 > Why not? Those really aren't valuable enough to be worth hacking and
33 > SSL, AES & RSA ought to be plenty enough to secure them.
34 >
35 > Stroller.
38 This is one reason I thought about using something like this. If I use
39 something that would remember my passwords and type them in for me, then
40 I can use really really strong passwords. You know, passwords like
41 this: !#sd78826=+C0945z$& I'm not saying that is uncrackable but it
42 would take a hacker a while to guess that thing. Me, I go to my bank
43 site a lot so I don't want to have to type something like that in each
44 time I go there. Having something that remembers them and types them in
45 for me would be nice. Tho I would prefer it be local to me and not
46 across the internet.
47
48 Before someone says that someone can steal my puter, well, they are
49 stored here now anyway. Seamonkey does it for me for most sites. I
50 have the others on post it notes stuck to my monitor. I don't type in
51 my login/password every time I got to the forums or some other site.
52 So, if they steal my puter, they can access whatever they want then
53 anyway. They can boot up with /bin/bash, change the passwords and then
54 access whatever they want. We always tell people physical access trumps
55 about anything else.
56
57 Since my bank changed their website which doesn't let password manager
58 in Seamonkey work like it used to, I shortened my password, a LOT. I
59 made it something I could type in easier and faster, even in the dark.
60 So by them doing that, it actually made mine less secure. Of course,
61 the bank assumes a lot of that responsibility since they have a $0 risk
62 to me. So, if someone guesses the password, they are on the hook for
63 it. I would like to avoid the hassle tho if I could.
64
65 Another situation I was thinking about. Let's say it is as secure as
66 they CLAIM it to be. If someone stole my puter, I could go to lostpass
67 and change the master password or just close the account. Then even my
68 computer would be useless to them. From my understanding you have to
69 type in the master password from time to time. If it is changed through
70 the website, I'm sure it would require it to be re-entered.
71
72 So, another question. Is there a tool that is local and would do
73 something like this? I am using Seamonkey 2.0 nowadays. It seems to
74 have some tools available to it that the old Seamonkey doesn't.
75
76 Dale
77