From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:27:33
1 On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 07:42 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 15 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > After looking at some of the discusion at:
4 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-644321.html
5 > > I saw there that gentoo's charter had been pulled.
6 > >
7 > > What does that actually mean? And who is such a charter with?
8 >
9 > The charter is a legal document filed with the State of New Mexico, it's
10 > the document that permits the Gentoo Foundation to exist as a legal
11 > entity. Because of unfiled paperwork etc etc the charter is no longer
12 > current and valid, and the Gentoo Foundation does not exist as a legal
13 > entity. On a code basis, it means that the Gentoo "G" logo, all ebuilds
14 > in the tree and portage itself now are not owned by anyone. Of course
15 > this is a dangerous position for those copyrights and logos to be in.
16
17 I thought it was only the legal document that allowed "Gentoo
18 Technologies" to be a not-for-profit organisation?
19
20 The logo's, domain name, etc. were transferred to Gentoo Technologies
21 before they applied for 501(c)(6) Not-For-Profit status, which required
22 a Board of Trustees. IANAL but can't you exist without a legal paper?
26 How many QA engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
27
28 3: 1 to screw it in and 2 to say "I told you so" when it doesn't work.
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list