From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 15:42:30
1 On Sunday 28 May 2006 07:55, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > On 5/27/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
4 > >> And also pardon me, when I'm annoyed because of too bold statements
5 > >> which turn out to be wrong. If it says "no problems expected", then
6 > >> that's what I expect. I don't expect to run into deep problems. And
7 > >> the GWN and upgrade doc clearly stated, that there were no problems
8 > >> to be expected.
9 > >
10 > > If you want to point out false and misleading statements, here is
11 > >
12 > > something you said earlier in this thread:
13 > >> Of course. You don't need to have gcc installed to be able to
14 > >
15 > > run a *compiled* program.
16 > >
17 > > This is false. C++ programs are usually linked against libstdc++ that
18 > > is in the gcc directory. So removing gcc will break these programs.
19 >
20 > Yes, you're right. In the case of Gentoo, removing gcc will break
21 > systems. But, as you know, there are other distributions (like
22 > SuSE) where you can perfectly fine remove the compiler.
25 because SuSE&co install the gcc-lib apart from gcc.
26 Try removing gcc-lib and see, what apps are still running.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list