From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 06:06:39
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 5/27/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3 >> And also pardon me, when I'm annoyed because of too bold statements
4 >> which turn out to be wrong. If it says "no problems expected", then
5 >> that's what I expect. I don't expect to run into deep problems. And
6 >> the GWN and upgrade doc clearly stated, that there were no problems
7 >> to be expected.
8 >
9 > If you want to point out false and misleading statements, here is
10 > something you said earlier in this thread:
11 >
12 >> Of course. You don't need to have gcc installed to be able to
13 > run a *compiled* program.
14 >
15 > This is false. C++ programs are usually linked against libstdc++ that
16 > is in the gcc directory. So removing gcc will break these programs.
17
18 Yes, you're right. In the case of Gentoo, removing gcc will break
19 systems. But, as you know, there are other distributions (like
20 SuSE) where you can perfectly fine remove the compiler.
21
22 > Maybe *you* should do a little QA and testing before *you* give
23 > someone information that you believe to be true at the time.
24
25 Yes, I should've. What I wrote was wrong.
26
27 Alexander Skwar
28 --
29 Congratulations! You are the one-millionth user to log into our system.
30 If there's anything special we can do for you, anything at all, don't
31 hesitate to ask!
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list