From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:21:43
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > The current behaviour is the correct and expected one - you told
3 > portage to emerge something and it did. Why else would you emerge
4 > something if you didn't intend it to become a permanent feature of the
5 > system and part of world? This has always been the definition of
6 > emerge - to make it permanent. If you want to emerge something and NOT
7 > have portage put it in world then you must use the -1 option. Remember
8 > that emerging something is supposed to be a permanent action that you
9 > (as root) intended to happen. If what you intend is something more
10 > unusual like a mere test or "just to see what would happen" then you
11 > must take additional steps (to make it clear that you are doing
12 > something out of the ordinary). It's the same logic as rm uses: the
13 > user told the computer to delete a file so the computer did what it
14 > was told by it's master and deleted the file. What else would you
15 > expect it to do? p.s. before I forget: Happy New Year :-)
16
17 I didn't tell it to add it to the world file tho, I just told it to
18 update it hence the option --update. I update things all the time but
19 it doesn't mean I want them added to the world file. If I want to
20 emerge something and have it added to the world file, I leave the -u
21 option out of it, then it should be added because I requested it to be
22 emerged not updated.
23
24 Example:
25
26 emerge phonon
27
28 That means I want it emerged on my system and should be added to the
29 world file.
30
31 emerge -u phonon
32
33 That means I want to update/upgrade phonon. I don't want it in my world
34 file, just updated. This is the way it worked before --oneshot came
35 along. It is not the way it is now but it was that way a good while back.
36
37 Happy New Year to you too. Mine are getting better. I lost my Dad on
38 New Years Day many years ago. It's not the same since.
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
46
47 Miss the compile output? Hint:
48 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"