From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:00:28
1 On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 16:12:34 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > > Using "emerge --update foo" adds "foo" to your world file. This is
6 > > responsible for pretty much every package that incorrectly found
7 > > its way into one of my world files.
8 > >
9 > > Is there any reason to desire the current behavior? I'd like to
10 > > suggest that it be fixed, but want to be sure I'm not just being
11 > > short-sighted.
15 > We noticed that a while back too. I added --oneshot to my make.conf
16 > setting to prevent this. When you want something added to the world
17 > file, check into the --select option. I'm pretty sure that is the
18 > one.
19 >
20 > I do agree that updates shouldn't add things to the world file but I
21 > wouldn't hold my breath on it getting changed.
24 The current behaviour is the correct and expected one - you told
25 portage to emerge something and it did. Why else would you emerge
26 something if you didn't intend it to become a permanent feature of the
27 system and part of world? This has always been the definition of emerge
28 - to make it permanent.
29
30 If you want to emerge something and NOT have portage put it in world
31 then you must use the -1 option. Remember that emerging something is
32 supposed to be a permanent action that you (as root) intended to
33 happen. If what you intend is something more unusual like a mere test
34 or "just to see what would happen" then you must take additional steps
35 (to make it clear that you are doing something out of the ordinary).
36
37 It's the same logic as rm uses:
38
39 the user told the computer to delete a file so the computer did what it
40 was told by it's master and deleted the file. What else would you
41 expect it to do?
44 p.s. before I forget: Happy New Year :-)
49 Alan McKinnnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com