From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:17:11
1 >> >> Yes, since a htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu (or a powerful gpu)>
2 >> > My learned-this-the-hard-way advice: while this is generally true, if> you
3 > ever come across a 720 or 1080p video that doesn't use a> hardware-accelerated
4 > codec, you would rather the HTPC not sound like> it's about to launch itself
5 > into orbit doing software decoding.
6 >> Completely true.  I switched from nvidia-drivers to nouveau and now Irely on
7 > ffmpeg threads to decode 1080p.  It works great most of thetime.  There are
8 > some videos that won't decode via threads, theyreturn some sort of "cannot
9 > parallelize" error.
10 >> I went with this Phenom II X4 3.7Ghz hog:
11 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103934
12 >> I wonder if I'll be able to decode 1080p in software on a single corenow
13 > without losing A/V sync.  I kinda doubt it.  I've been on anAthlon X2 3.1Ghz.
14 >> > And if you're going to keep it in a cabinet, you would probably also>
15 > rather said cabinet not catch fire (I had to cut holes in the back and> mount
16 > fans).
17 >> I'm discovering that fans which are said to be very quiet actuallyare.  I'm
18 > going to increase my case fans from 0 to 2 along with thisaftermarket CPU
19 > cooler:
20 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016
21 >> Thanks a lot for everyone's help.
22 >> - Grant
23 >
24 > oh.. a tower cooler.. and only 92mm... hm..
25
26 Yeah I need the air to blow out the back of the desktop case since my
27 printer/scanner sits on top of the case and blocks the top air vents.
28 92mm is all this case can fit. A few mm taller and it would make
29 contact with the top of the case.
30
31 - Grant
34 > well with fans bigger = better. A 14cm monster can push the same amount of air
35 > as a 12cm or 8cm fan with a lot less rpm. The less rpm the better.
36 >
37 > I can't hear any of my 4 14cm fans ;)