From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:10:34
1 On Wednesday 06 July 2011 11:54:29 Grant wrote:
2 > >> Yes, since a htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu (or a powerful gpu)>
3 > > My learned-this-the-hard-way advice: while this is generally true, if> you
4 ever come across a 720 or 1080p video that doesn't use a> hardware-accelerated
5 codec, you would rather the HTPC not sound like> it's about to launch itself
6 into orbit doing software decoding.
7 > Completely true. I switched from nvidia-drivers to nouveau and now Irely on
8 ffmpeg threads to decode 1080p. It works great most of thetime. There are
9 some videos that won't decode via threads, theyreturn some sort of "cannot
10 parallelize" error.
11 > I went with this Phenom II X4 3.7Ghz hog:
12 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103934
13 > I wonder if I'll be able to decode 1080p in software on a single corenow
14 without losing A/V sync. I kinda doubt it. I've been on anAthlon X2 3.1Ghz.
15 > > And if you're going to keep it in a cabinet, you would probably also>
16 rather said cabinet not catch fire (I had to cut holes in the back and> mount
17 fans).
18 > I'm discovering that fans which are said to be very quiet actuallyare. I'm
19 going to increase my case fans from 0 to 2 along with thisaftermarket CPU
20 cooler:
21 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016
22 > Thanks a lot for everyone's help.
23 > - Grant
24
25 oh.. a tower cooler.. and only 92mm... hm..
26
27 well with fans bigger = better. A 14cm monster can push the same amount of air
28 as a 12cm or 8cm fan with a lot less rpm. The less rpm the better.
29
30 I can't hear any of my 4 14cm fans ;)
31 --
32 #163933