From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:56:20
1 >> Yes, since a htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu (or a powerful gpu)
2 >
3 > My learned-this-the-hard-way advice: while this is generally true, if
4 > you ever come across a 720 or 1080p video that doesn't use a
5 > hardware-accelerated codec, you would rather the HTPC not sound like
6 > it's about to launch itself into orbit doing software decoding.
7
8 Completely true. I switched from nvidia-drivers to nouveau and now I
9 rely on ffmpeg threads to decode 1080p. It works great most of the
10 time. There are some videos that won't decode via threads, they
11 return some sort of "cannot parallelize" error.
12
13 I went with this Phenom II X4 3.7Ghz hog:
14
15 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103934
16
17 I wonder if I'll be able to decode 1080p in software on a single core
18 now without losing A/V sync. I kinda doubt it. I've been on an
19 Athlon X2 3.1Ghz.
20
21 > And if you're going to keep it in a cabinet, you would probably also
22 > rather said cabinet not catch fire (I had to cut holes in the back and
23 > mount fans).
24
25 I'm discovering that fans which are said to be very quiet actually
26 are. I'm going to increase my case fans from 0 to 2 along with this
27 aftermarket CPU cooler:
28
29 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016
30