From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inhouse email
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:41:12
1 Two things, well several things, really. You need more than one mail server,
2 or you need a store-and-forward mx in case your mail server goes down.
3 Second, I'd make sure you put antivirus and spam guards on the mail server,
4 and that it's beefy enough to handle the traffic. A good split is to put a
5 bastion mail server doing antivirus and spam checks, but no user verification
6 outside the firewall (or inside a non-natting firewall), and have him just
7 forward everything to a secure mail server inside. put the secure mail
8 server with a non-routable ip, and the bastion mail server with one public
9 ip, and one non-routable, to talk to the secure mail server. Make sure both
10 mail servers are up-to-date and kept up to date patchwise. Run NO other
11 services (except maybe ssh) on either server.