From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5 & Disabling search and recent documents & thoughts
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 00:43:15
1 On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 04:55:05PM -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > OK
3 >
4 > WHY can't we have a single checkbox to disable all this crap? I found
5 > one and it didn't work (search in system settings.) Then when I was
6 > searching around online I found out it will reenable itself magically
7 > randomly anyway!
8
9 It's a different kind of search than the one you speak of, but the The "new
10 classic menu" has become practically unusable by keyboard thanks to its new
11 built-in search field. :’(
12 - The search field eats every key stroke except the cursor keys, so there is
13 no more way of selecting an item by its first letter. Why a search field
14 at all? We have KRunner for that (as long as it isn’t crashing).
15 - The Favourites and Power options on the left margin are not reachable with
16 the keyboard at all.
17 - In KDE4 I could do Alt+F1 + V + R to put the computer to sleep from the
18 "Leave" submenu. Now I must press Alt+F1 + Cursor up + Cursor right + 3 ×
19 Cursor down + Enter to achieve the same.
20
21 I can’t imagine a feature request for the search to be hideable will be
22 heard. But just as those poor Windows 10 users do, I keep sticking to KDE,
23 because all in all, KDE is still the best thing out there. I upgraded my
24 main PC when KDE4 was removed from the package manager, but I just can’t
25 bring it over my heart to do the same on the laptop.
26 KDE4 is just too cozy, even with its few remaining quirks. =)
29 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
30 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
31
32 I consider bowling to be a smashing idea.