From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] skype package changes I don't understand
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:56:45
1 On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >> if you use testing, you have to deal with such kind of situations.
4 >> Using a known broken version is just stupid. There isn't a choice
5 >> between those two. There is only a choice between: use unstable or
6 >> stable. And if you use unstable, don't complain about things being
7 >> fluid.
10 Typical Volker. Not worth a response.
11
12 > - From what I can tell, he is not using ~amd64 (testing). He uses a
13 > mixed system (stable with a few packages in package.keywords) which
14 > sometimes is even worse :)
17 That's it precisely. All my systems are 'stable' as best they can be.
18 The only things that are more or less permanently testing are portage
19 & eix. After that the only entries in package.keywords are specific
20 applications or _very_ targeted things that address hardware issues.
21 (Virtualbox, VMWare Player, nvidia-drivers) That's it. In general, the
22 only reason ANYTHING goes in package.keywords is to address a
23 temporary package problem, and typically they aren't there that long.
24 For instance, if say Virtualbox had a problem I might keyword it for a
25 month or two to get a new release that fixes the problem. After that
26 version goes stable I remove the keyword entry and am running the same
27 version I've been running. My keyword file is currently only about 12
28 lines.
29
30 In the case of skype there was no stable version to use. Everything is
31 marked as testing.
32
33 While I agree that the emulation libraries are probably low risk I
34 don't want to add 8 new things to package.keywords. It's just not the
35 way I work here.
36
37 > The best way to deal with your problem (and avoid seeing your
38 > package.keywords getting bigger and bigger) is to grab -r1, mark it
39 > stable, put it in your local overlay and keep using that indefinitely.
42 Yeah, most likely the best medium-term solution although what I've
43 done for now is emerge -C skype.
44
45 > - --
46 > Regards,
47 > Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2
50 Thanks Markos! I really appreciate your inputs as well as all the work
51 you guys do. We don't say thanks enough.
52
53 (Ugh Volker. Keep the attitude to yourself dude) ;-(
54
55 Cheers,
56 Mark