From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Certain network activity stops the network
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:11:40
1 On Saturday 27 December 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > >> I have 3 Gentoo systems on a wireless network, one of which is the
3 > >> firewall/router. Sometimes any traffic to one of the systems
4 > >> effectively freezes traffic on the whole network. Does anyone know
5 > >> what might cause that? It's tough to investigate because it doesn't
6 > >> happen all the time.
7 > >
8 > > Not sure if it is remotely related to your problem, but I've noticed
9 > > something similar happening when I was using a Netgear DG834 router and
10 > > happened to start up a box with a gigabit ethernet card (everything else
11 > > was 10T-100). While the gigabit card was negotiating speeds with the
12 > > router everything else was unable to use the network. That could last
13 > > for up to a minute or so. When I changed router the problem went away.
14 >
15 > Just so I'm sure I understand, this couldn't be related with the
16 > problematic system connected wirelessly and the router being a Gentoo
17 > system right?
18
19 No, this is related to a gigabit ethernet card (re)negotiating connection
20 speeds with a problematic *router*. The box with the gigabit card in my case
21 would bring the network down whether I booted the said box in MSWindows or
22 Gentoo. It's not a client OS issue. YMMV.
23
24 Try a different router if you have that luxury.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick