From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternatives to audacious?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:50:45
1 On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:00:51 -0400
2 Ken <ken69267@×××××.com> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Denis wrote:
8 > > What are some alternatives to Audacious mp3/CD player? I really
9 > > liked the old XMMS and used it right up until it was taken off
10 > > portage. Audacious seems to resemble XMMS closely enough, but it
11 > > seems more fragile. I have it working well on one gentoo box, but
12 > > on this box, I am just having no luck getting it to run without
13 > > errors (won't read audio CD, master volume control is not
14 > > functional, playlist errors on start-up... ) I'm looking for
15 > > something with a GUI rather than a command-line player.
16 > >
17 > > Thanks.
18 > I gotta give a recommendation for Amarok. It is a kde package so it
19 > might not be what you had in mind, but it is a great music player.
20
21 Amarok is feature-rich, but heavy indeed. I don't recommend it for a
22 drop-in XMMS replacement. If you like the idea of editing mp3 tags and
23 organzing your music really nicely, browsing it 3 different ways and
24 seeing cover art from amazon.com and such, amarok is for you.
25
26 But if you like xmms, maybe before you try to find more alternatives
27 you'll consider trying to compile and install it from downloaded
28 sources, manually.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list