From: Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:27:39
1 On 2017-12-11 13:39, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday, 11 December 2017 11:59:03 GMT Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés
4 >> <caneko@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 >> > Just my two cents. I will not answer any reply to my little contribution
9 >> > this thread;
10 >>
11 >> Good. I can't remember any intervention from you that I would miss. Of
12 >> course, I wouldn't dream of telling people how they should think, nor
13 >> would I deny anyone the right to be an activist.
14 >>
15 >> > Enjoy your echo chamber.
16 >>
17 >> Thank you for your contribution, Dr. Yes, we know you're a Dr. We know
18 >> it because:
19 >
20 > Crikey! I didn't expect my question to trigger yet another thread of
21 > 'systemd
22 > Vs freedom of choice (non-systemd)' arguments. Dr. Canek has been an
23 > advocate
24 This is the nature of a mailing list ... ;-)
25
26 > of systemd for years now and has posted his views on this topic more
27 > than
28 > once. He has tried hard to make gentoo users see the light in the
29 > superiority
30 > of systemd and put his arguments across. He has also done a lot of
31 > development work to establish systemd in Gentoo. His views are
32 > somewhat
33 > parochial - only those who (can) code have an influence if not a right
35 > determine the direction of travel - I paraphrase of course. There is
36 > truth in
37 > this and anyone can recognise that money can buy developer hours and
38 > direct
39 > their development effort.
40 >
41 > The facts remain that RHL and their employees have shaped the Linux
42 > eco-system
43 > to suit their business interests; spinning predictably and reliably
44 > thousands
45 > of identical VMs in data centres. The MSWindows monolithic stack
46 > architecture
47 > is something they wanted/needed and this is what they developed.
48 >
49 > The fact also remains that binary distros and other development
50 > projects
51 > decided to gravitate towards major development areas (cloud and
52 > embedded
53 > computing) where commercial interest and development demand has been
54 > greater.
55 > Lack of devs and maintainers especially for smaller distros means they
56 > decided
57 > to ride on the back of systemd and minimise their own development load.
58 > Linux
59 IMHO there isn't a lack of devs and/or maintainers. To me the issue is
60 that they doesn't work as good together as they should. To less
61 compromises. To many forks. Thus, unfortunately, leads into more market
62 fragmentation. It is good to have a choice, but it is not good to have a
63 lot - to many - choices. And this is not limited to init systems.
64
65 > exists on the desktop too, but this represents a really small
66 > percentage of PC
67 > users. Linux desktop users on Gentoo systems is an even smaller number
68 > and I
69 > am guessing of an increasingly advanced age demographic.
70 >
71 > I am grateful that Gentoo has retained openrc and provides a choice for
72 > those
73 > of us who would prefer to not use systemd. I use systemd on a couple
74 > of
75 > systems out of necessity/convenience, but I would not like it on my PC
76 > systems. If I wanted this opaque Just Works™ philosophy I would have
77 > stayed
78 > with MSWindows or AppleMac, both of which I have used for years and
79 > frustrated
80 > me to hell - well MSWindows definitely does. However, for the majority
81 > of the
82 > population these OS remain the best suited choice. So, I think we
83 > should live
84 > & let live, but as gentoo users at least try to influence gentoo to
85 > retain a
86 > freedom of choice most binary distros have walked away from.
87 >
88 > Just my 2c's.
89 +1 in general ;-), even if I'm pretty sure some people will interpret
90 something different.
93 Sent with eQmail-1.10