From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:39:36
1 On Monday, 11 December 2017 11:59:03 GMT Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4
5 > > Just my two cents. I will not answer any reply to my little contribution
7 > > this thread;
8 >
9 > Good. I can't remember any intervention from you that I would miss. Of
10 > course, I wouldn't dream of telling people how they should think, nor
11 > would I deny anyone the right to be an activist.
12 >
13 > > Enjoy your echo chamber.
14 >
15 > Thank you for your contribution, Dr. Yes, we know you're a Dr. We know
16 > it because:
17
18 Crikey! I didn't expect my question to trigger yet another thread of 'systemd
19 Vs freedom of choice (non-systemd)' arguments. Dr. Canek has been an advocate
20 of systemd for years now and has posted his views on this topic more than
21 once. He has tried hard to make gentoo users see the light in the superiority
22 of systemd and put his arguments across. He has also done a lot of
23 development work to establish systemd in Gentoo. His views are somewhat
24 parochial - only those who (can) code have an influence if not a right to
25 determine the direction of travel - I paraphrase of course. There is truth in
26 this and anyone can recognise that money can buy developer hours and direct
27 their development effort.
28
29 The facts remain that RHL and their employees have shaped the Linux eco-system
30 to suit their business interests; spinning predictably and reliably thousands
31 of identical VMs in data centres. The MSWindows monolithic stack architecture
32 is something they wanted/needed and this is what they developed.
33
34 The fact also remains that binary distros and other development projects
35 decided to gravitate towards major development areas (cloud and embedded
36 computing) where commercial interest and development demand has been greater.
37 Lack of devs and maintainers especially for smaller distros means they decided
38 to ride on the back of systemd and minimise their own development load. Linux
39 exists on the desktop too, but this represents a really small percentage of PC
40 users. Linux desktop users on Gentoo systems is an even smaller number and I
41 am guessing of an increasingly advanced age demographic.
42
43 I am grateful that Gentoo has retained openrc and provides a choice for those
44 of us who would prefer to not use systemd. I use systemd on a couple of
45 systems out of necessity/convenience, but I would not like it on my PC
46 systems. If I wanted this opaque Just Works™ philosophy I would have stayed
47 with MSWindows or AppleMac, both of which I have used for years and frustrated
48 me to hell - well MSWindows definitely does. However, for the majority of the
49 population these OS remain the best suited choice. So, I think we should live
50 & let live, but as gentoo users at least try to influence gentoo to retain a
51 freedom of choice most binary distros have walked away from.
52
53 Just my 2c's.
54 --
55 Regards,