From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Security Updates and Portage Trees
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:11:19
1 On Monday 19 September 2005 13:16, gentuxx wrote:
2 > If I update firefox with the --oneshot option, I know that it won't
3 > update the "world" tree, but why? Why is that the recommended
4 > procedure? Does that give me any benefit? Also, why would a package
5 > be available as a "--oneshot" and NOT through a normal "emerge -Dupv
6 > world"?
7
8 The package would be available through -Dupv as well, but not everybody
9 likes to update all packages (especially on servers).
10
11 > I love how portage unifies the packaging system, and I feel like if I
12 > run all of these "--oneshot" updates for security fixes, that I'll
13 > have all of these "stray" programs running around on my system, that
14 > won't get updated next time I emerge "world".
15
16 --oneshot won't remove the package from world. It just prevents it from
17 being added. If the package is installed but not in world, it is presumably
18 there as a dependency from another package. Hence, updating world will
19 still grab the package. Using --oneshot just keeps the world file clean.
22 Jason Stubbs