From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:25:28
1 On Sep 18, 2014 5:19 AM, "James" <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
6 > > Uh, the only thing the Linux kernel does is spawn a single process as
7 > > PID 1 and offer a VERY STABLE system call interface for that and
8 > > future processes to make requests. Nobody is going to break sysvinit
9 > > if that happens to be the thing you tell Linux to execute as PID 1.
10 >
11 > OK, where are your performance studies on how wonderful systemd is?
12 > Simple (2) identical system except for systemd only on one. Run a
13 > wide variety of tests, publish the data.
14 >
15 > Publish perfomanced metrics; Choice; Unreasonable?
18 The classic open source answer to being told to do a lot of work on
19 publicly available data is
20
21 "do it yourself, youre not paying my bills you entitled ____".
22 (paraphrased from "code talks")
26 > > Whether anybody else actually supports sysvinit is a different matter.
27 > > I'm sure it will be around in Gentoo for a long time, and those with
28 > > official Gentoo support contracts will get the same care they are used
29 > > to. :)
30 >
31 > I'm not sure if this is a threat, a promise or are you just trash talkin
32 > with me now?
33 >
34 > Besides, there is another thing you are not considering. The world of
35 > embedded linux >> user linux. So, the embedded designers are all
36 > wonderfully in line with systemd? Have you been to any of those
37 > forums? They live by cgroups, because a few folks showed them how
38 > to minimize embedded systems with age old state diagrams. Have you
39 > offered them the systemd or highway plan yet?
40
41 last i checked, systemd uses cgroups - its a central part of the service
42 management bits. so what the frack are you on about?
45 > It's not me, Rich, it lots of other technically astute folks that
46 > are not happy. I just want choice. I hope systemd is wildly successful,
47 > but I'm old school, so you and others are going to have to "show me".
51 > James