From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:18:40
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Uh, the only thing the Linux kernel does is spawn a single process as
5 > PID 1 and offer a VERY STABLE system call interface for that and
6 > future processes to make requests. Nobody is going to break sysvinit
7 > if that happens to be the thing you tell Linux to execute as PID 1.
8
9 OK, where are your performance studies on how wonderful systemd is?
10 Simple (2) identical system except for systemd only on one. Run a
11 wide variety of tests, publish the data.
12
13 Publish perfomanced metrics; Choice; Unreasonable?
17 > Whether anybody else actually supports sysvinit is a different matter.
18 > I'm sure it will be around in Gentoo for a long time, and those with
19 > official Gentoo support contracts will get the same care they are used
20 > to. :)
21
22 I'm not sure if this is a threat, a promise or are you just trash talkin
23 with me now?
24
25 Besides, there is another thing you are not considering. The world of
26 embedded linux >> user linux. So, the embedded designers are all
27 wonderfully in line with systemd? Have you been to any of those
28 forums? They live by cgroups, because a few folks showed them how
29 to minimize embedded systems with age old state diagrams. Have you
30 offered them the systemd or highway plan yet?
33 It's not me, Rich, it lots of other technically astute folks that
34 are not happy. I just want choice. I hope systemd is wildly successful,
35 but I'm old school, so you and others are going to have to "show me".
39 James