From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Lowest common denominator compile
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 00:53:59
1 On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> I have a network of very nearly identical Dell XPS 13 laptops that I
3 >> manage with a script. The master pushes the contents of its
4 >> filesystem to the others so I only have to manage one system. It's
5 >> worked really well over several years. I just got a new Dell XPS 13
6 >> to serve as the master and there have been some changes that were
7 >> difficult to integrate with the network (high-res screen, /dev/sda
8 >> replaced with /dev/nvme0n0) but those problems are fixed thanks to you
9 >> guys.
10 >>
11 >> Now I'm running into "trap invalid opcode" errors on the older
12 >> systems. Can I disable some of the newer CPU instruction sets on the
13 >> master laptop when compiling to hopefully generate binaries that will
14 >> work on the older systems? If so, could anyone point me in the right
15 >> direction? I don't want to use distcc please.
16 >>
17 >> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
18 >> CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
21 > Switching to -mtune=native seems to work. Time for an emerge -e world.
24 This still might fail after a sufficient amount of time, you may want
25 to run cpuid2cpuflags on all of the laptops. I'm not sure if there is
26 a way around this. You may be able to refer to the Intel ARK to look
27 up processor and family capabilities directly.
28
29 R0b0t1.