From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Lowest common denominator compile
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 20:16:43
1 > I have a network of very nearly identical Dell XPS 13 laptops that I
2 > manage with a script. The master pushes the contents of its
3 > filesystem to the others so I only have to manage one system. It's
4 > worked really well over several years. I just got a new Dell XPS 13
5 > to serve as the master and there have been some changes that were
6 > difficult to integrate with the network (high-res screen, /dev/sda
7 > replaced with /dev/nvme0n0) but those problems are fixed thanks to you
8 > guys.
9 >
10 > Now I'm running into "trap invalid opcode" errors on the older
11 > systems. Can I disable some of the newer CPU instruction sets on the
12 > master laptop when compiling to hopefully generate binaries that will
13 > work on the older systems? If so, could anyone point me in the right
14 > direction? I don't want to use distcc please.
15 >
16 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
17 > CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
20 Switching to -mtune=native seems to work. Time for an emerge -e world.
21
22 - Grant