From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debug memory leaks in X server
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:45:43
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 Nov 2012 09:56:27 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Hi list!
4 >>
5 >> I have a suspicion that viewing certain PDFs in okular causes X server
6 >> to leak memory. Currently it is using 1.8 GB after 3 days uptime. Has
7 >> anyone else observed that? Is there a way to inspect X server's memory
8 >> usage?
9 > I have noticed that okular recently started breaking into a sweat when it
10 > renders pdf files. Even a four page document with a bit of colour and
11 > graphics seems to push the cpu:
12 >
13 > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
14 > 16387 michael 23 3 466m 52m 30m S 102 1.3 0:36.88 /usr/bin/okular
15 > <<< SNIP >>>
16 >
17 > Once rendered, the CPU goes down to normal levels. The problem does not seem
18 > to occur when the pdf is just text, i.e. no photographs, or complex graphics
19 > in it.
20 >
21 > Other than the various top apps, perhaps you can try lsof?
22
23 I have a local grocery store that I have to go to the website to get
24 their sale ads. Anyway, it is generally 2 pages and even on this 4 core
25 rig with more than plenty of ram, it takes a bit to open them. Funny
26 thing is, I have some that is about sewing, lots of pictures in those
27 since I need pics to get the idea, anyway, they load up in a flash. As
28 soon as Okular loads, the pages are there.
29
30 Since this is more like what Florian describes, I guess we see the same
31 things. I'm not sure about ram itself but some files do open
32 differently. By the way, the grocery ad is a much smaller file than the
33 sewing files. Both in file size and number of pages. One would expect
34 it to be the opposite.
35
36 Looks like I have a problem that I didn't know I had. With 16Gbs of
37 ram, I hadn't noticed anything with the ram, other than Seamonkey being
38 its usual hoggy self. :/ I guess this is to sort of confirm that
39 someone else sees a similar thing to Florian.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!