From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debug memory leaks in X server
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:53:44
1 On Monday 26 Nov 2012 12:43:38 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Monday 26 Nov 2012 09:56:27 Florian Philipp wrote:
4 > >> Hi list!
5 > >>
6 > >> I have a suspicion that viewing certain PDFs in okular causes X server
7 > >> to leak memory. Currently it is using 1.8 GB after 3 days uptime. Has
8 > >> anyone else observed that? Is there a way to inspect X server's memory
9 > >> usage?
10 > >
11 > > I have noticed that okular recently started breaking into a sweat when it
12 > > renders pdf files. Even a four page document with a bit of colour and
13 > >
14 > > graphics seems to push the cpu:
15 > > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
16 > >
17 > > 16387 michael 23 3 466m 52m 30m S 102 1.3 0:36.88
18 > > /usr/bin/okular <<< SNIP >>>
19 > >
20 > > Once rendered, the CPU goes down to normal levels. The problem does not
21 > > seem to occur when the pdf is just text, i.e. no photographs, or complex
22 > > graphics in it.
23 > >
24 > > Other than the various top apps, perhaps you can try lsof?
25 >
26 > I have a local grocery store that I have to go to the website to get
27 > their sale ads. Anyway, it is generally 2 pages and even on this 4 core
28 > rig with more than plenty of ram, it takes a bit to open them. Funny
29 > thing is, I have some that is about sewing, lots of pictures in those
30 > since I need pics to get the idea, anyway, they load up in a flash. As
31 > soon as Okular loads, the pages are there.
32 >
33 > Since this is more like what Florian describes, I guess we see the same
34 > things. I'm not sure about ram itself but some files do open
35 > differently. By the way, the grocery ad is a much smaller file than the
36 > sewing files. Both in file size and number of pages. One would expect
37 > it to be the opposite.
38 >
39 > Looks like I have a problem that I didn't know I had. With 16Gbs of
40 > ram, I hadn't noticed anything with the ram, other than Seamonkey being
41 > its usual hoggy self. :/ I guess this is to sort of confirm that
42 > someone else sees a similar thing to Florian.
43
44 This is not a RAM issue, but seemingly a CPU issue. Furthermore, it does not
45 seem to be related exclusively to okular. I just tried qpdfview and it also
46 took ages to open/render - HOWEVER - when I tried mupdf it was rendered in
47 milliseconds and the CPU usage stayed very very low. This may be something to
48 do with the wonderful KDE and friends.
49
50 I recently upgraded to KDE-4.9.3 and this is not the only thing I noticed. In
51 Kmail-1.13.7 all sent messages are saved in the local/sent-mail directory,
52 irrespective of the path I enter in Kmail's settings for each email account.
53 Initially I though that sent messages were being lost - not sent - but then I
54 noticed that the default sent folder started getting larger.
55
56 I better start another thread for this problem.
57 --
58 Regards,
59 Mick