From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re:
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 13:36:26
1 On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 21:26:27 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2014-03-04, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > You need a running OS to install an OS. You get this anywhere you
5 > > choose but the easiest is to boot from a removeable media (CD, USB,
6 > > etc).
7 >
8 > Booting the Gentoo minimal install "CD" (from CD/DVD or USB flash
9 > drive) is the canonical way to get to the point where you start
10 > following the steps in the handbook. On one recent install, I used
11 > systemrescuecd 4.xx, which gives you a nice minimal XFCE desktop with
12 > the Midori web browser you can use to read the handbook (and wander
13 > around the web while stuff builds). There was one step -- installing
14 > syslog-ng, I think -- where there was a glitch due to an environment
15 > variable set by srcd.
16 >
17 > Immediately after doing the "chroot" do the following command
18 >
19 > # export path=
20 >
21 > See below for more details
22 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-921678-start-0.html
23 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-786386.html
26 Gentoo used to have a page[1] documenting the required
27 deviations from the handbook to install from an arbitrary recent-glibc
28 linux environment. Now it redirects to a wiki page[2] with roughly
29 similar content.
30
31 When installing from media other than the official gentoo minimal
32 install cd, you should refer to the section currently labelled
33 "Installation from non-Gentoo LiveCDs" in [2] to avoid surprises. In
34 particular, I have several times seen people run into problems due to
35 not properly adapting the instructions on mounting (thus
36 missing /dev/pts in the chroot) and cleaning the environment prior to
37 chrooting (thus ending up with incomplete PATH or having various
38 variables set that break the build systems for packages bundling
39 gnulib).
40
41 (Sorry for arrogantly repeating some of the information you provided,
42 but since forums and mailing list entries get archived and are
43 searchable "forever" and are not updated, I feel it is prudent to
44 provide pointers to resources that have a greater chance of staying
45 relevant.)
48 1: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
49 2: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installation_alternatives
52 eroen