From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:15:20
1 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:55:39 -0400 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:41:07 -0400 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > > > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 08:42:45 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
10 > > > > >
11 > > > > > > > > But the manual and the html pages constantly talk about the grub
12 > > > > > > > > command or rather the grub interactive command, and they usually
13 > > > > > > > > call it grub, maybe it has a different name.
14 > > > > > > >
15 > > > > > > > That's the GRUB interactive shell, that you get to from the boot menu
16 > > > > > > > (press c) or get dropped into it if there is no grub.cfg file.
17 > > > > > > >
18 > > > > > >
19 > > > > > > hmmm, I thought you could do it from the console as well, for certain
20 > > > > > > commands.
21 > > > > >
22 > > > > > The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
23 > > > > > shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
24 > > > > > commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
25 > > > > > again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
26 > > > > > manual shows how it all fits together.
27 > > > > >
28 > > > > > Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
29 > > > > > with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
30 > > > > > straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
31 > > > >
32 > > > > Well, I am trying to use the nvidia driver which conflicts with uvesafb
33 > > > > frame buffer, so it seems. It used to work fine, but not it does not
34 > > > > work anymore and the only solutions I have found was a couple of grub
35 > > > > parameters which gives you a higher resolution and passes it on to
36 > > > > linux. It would not be as good as the uvesafb, but at least it would be
37 > > > > better than 80x25. I use the console a lot and only use gnome
38 > > > > sometimes, but I don't want to have to reboot into a different kernel
39 > > > > just to use gnome.
40 > > >
41 > > > You can pass any kernel parameters using lilo as well.
42 > > >
43 > > > Also it should be possible to use uvesafb and nvidia driver without
44 > > > kernel switch, at least this is possible with fbcon: as described
45 > > > in [1], it is possible to unbind framebuffer console and use text
46 > > > vga console, then you should be able to unload uvesafb module and
47 > > > load nvidia propietary blob.
48 > > >
49 > > > [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt
50 > >
51 > > But, if I compile uvesafb as a module, as opposed to having it built
52 > > into the kernel, I can never activate the frame buffer, I always get
53 > > /dev/fb0 no such file or directory when trying to use fbset. If I could
54 > > do that, and get the correct mode, that would also solve my problem.
55 >
56 > Have you tried to load uvesafb module with desired parameters before
57 > running fbset? You can setup modules init script to do that
58 > automatically.
59
60 Yep, I tried that, but no joy there at all. I even tried the nvidia
61 frame buffer thinking it might be compatible with the nvidia drivers,
62 but I could not get anything out of it, either as a module or built in.
65 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
66 How do
67 you spend it?
68
69 John Covici