From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:11:04
1 On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:55:39 -0400 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:41:07 -0400 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 08:42:45 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > > > > But the manual and the html pages constantly talk about the grub
10 > > > > > > > command or rather the grub interactive command, and they usually
11 > > > > > > > call it grub, maybe it has a different name.
12 > > > > > >
13 > > > > > > That's the GRUB interactive shell, that you get to from the boot menu
14 > > > > > > (press c) or get dropped into it if there is no grub.cfg file.
15 > > > > > >
16 > > > > >
17 > > > > > hmmm, I thought you could do it from the console as well, for certain
18 > > > > > commands.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
21 > > > > shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
22 > > > > commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
23 > > > > again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
24 > > > > manual shows how it all fits together.
25 > > > >
26 > > > > Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
27 > > > > with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
28 > > > > straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
29 > > >
30 > > > Well, I am trying to use the nvidia driver which conflicts with uvesafb
31 > > > frame buffer, so it seems. It used to work fine, but not it does not
32 > > > work anymore and the only solutions I have found was a couple of grub
33 > > > parameters which gives you a higher resolution and passes it on to
34 > > > linux. It would not be as good as the uvesafb, but at least it would be
35 > > > better than 80x25. I use the console a lot and only use gnome
36 > > > sometimes, but I don't want to have to reboot into a different kernel
37 > > > just to use gnome.
38 > >
39 > > You can pass any kernel parameters using lilo as well.
40 > >
41 > > Also it should be possible to use uvesafb and nvidia driver without
42 > > kernel switch, at least this is possible with fbcon: as described
43 > > in [1], it is possible to unbind framebuffer console and use text
44 > > vga console, then you should be able to unload uvesafb module and
45 > > load nvidia propietary blob.
46 > >
47 > > [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt
48 >
49 > But, if I compile uvesafb as a module, as opposed to having it built
50 > into the kernel, I can never activate the frame buffer, I always get
51 > /dev/fb0 no such file or directory when trying to use fbset. If I could
52 > do that, and get the correct mode, that would also solve my problem.
53
54 Have you tried to load uvesafb module with desired parameters before
55 running fbset? You can setup modules init script to do that
56 automatically.
57
58 Best regards,
59 Andrew Savchenko