From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:50:09
1 On Sunday 17 September 2006 20:02, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > Well... But what Mick showed was the expected behaviour. He
4 > has NOT set a domainname - at least not the domainname that
5 > the "domainname" command would return.
6
7 I just can't get it. :-(
8
9 When I logon I can see in the console:
10
11 "This is lappy.(none) (Linux i686 2.6.7-gentoo-r8) 13.31.51"
12
13 Where is this "(none)" being read from? As in which files and which
14 particular entry in that file?
15
16 > domainname --help clearly shows, what domainname will return:
17 > The *NIS* domainname. This always used to be the case and
18 > hopefully always will be the case.
19
20 OK, but when I enter nis_domain="STUDY" in /etc/conf.d/net, I still
21 get "(none)".
22
23 Unlike Alex's earlier example I do not need to set up DNS servers addresses,
24 or other IP addresses as these are picked up by the dhcpcd server from my
25 hardware router.
26
27 I manually ran:
28
29 # domainname STUDY
30
31 and now I get:
32
33 # domainname -v
34 getdomainname()=`STUDY'
35 STUDY
36
37 which is fine, but the console still shows hostname.(none). I am obviously
38 confused with all this name setting and would very much appreciate your
39 patience and help to make me understand. :)
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick