From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No /dev/sda1 with Klingston usb disk. Wrong lsusb output.
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:58:03
1 Hey Fred.
2
3 Is the USB key in question formatted with a FAT partition by chance? If
4 so, you may need to load the vfat module as root, or, build vfat
5 (Windows FAT32) filesystem support into your kernel, or perhaps, add an
6 entry for the USB key in your /etc/fstab if you already have vfat support.
7
8 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_USB_Mass_Storage_Device
9
10 Sláinte!
11
12 -Jeff
13
14 Frédéric Grosshans wrote:
15 > I've a problem with a recently bought usb disk:there is a /dev/sda node
16 > but no /dev/sda1 . When I try to access /dev/sda, I've the following
17 > errors :
18 > sanduleak ~ # fdisk /dev/sda
19 >
20 > Unable to open /dev/sda
21 > sanduleak ~ # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null
22 > dd: opening `/dev/sda': No medium found
25 > When I plug it, tje following entries are added to dmesg :
26 >
27 > usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
28 > scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
29 > usb-storage: device found at 6
30 > usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
31 > Vendor: Generic Model: USB Flash Drive Rev: 1.04
32 > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision:
33 > 02
34 > sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
35 > usb-storage: device scan complete
36 >
37 > The strangest part is the lsusb output (verbose output at the end of the
38 > mail):
39 > sanduleak ~ # lsusb -s6
40 > Bus 003 Device 006: ID 1043:8006 iCreate Technologies Corp.
41 > Flash Disk 32 MB
42 >
43 > This is a not an iCreate 32MB drive, but a Kingston DataTraveler Elite
44 > 1GB drive. I did some first tests with small files, and it worked OK. I
45 > then loaded a ~100MB file from a windows computer on the usb key and
46 > went away to travel (It shold be "DataTraveler" disk, after all). I'm
47 > now in China, with no access to this disk :-(.
48 >
49 > Is that
50 > 1. a user bug (I did something very stupid),
51 > 2. a disk bug (My disk is corrupted some how),
52 > 3. or a software bug.
53 >
54 > In case 1. and 2., how can I check it ?
55 >
56 > The lsusb output let me suspect it's case 3, especially the false 32 MB
57 > disk size. If it's the case, can I possibly correct it ? Where should I
58 > look ? And Where should I report the bug ?
59 >
60 > Thanks for having read until here.
61 >
62 > Fred
63 >
64 > PS: here is the output of lsusb -vs6 , if it can be useful.
65 >
66 > Bus 003 Device 006: ID 1043:8006 iCreate Technologies Corp. Flash Disk
67 > 32 MB
68 > Device Descriptor:
69 > bLength 18
70 > bDescriptorType 1
71 > bcdUSB 1.10
72 > bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
73 > bDeviceSubClass 0
74 > bDeviceProtocol 0
75 > bMaxPacketSize0 8
76 > idVendor 0x1043 iCreate Technologies Corp.
77 > idProduct 0x8006 Flash Disk 32 MB
78 > bcdDevice 1.00
79 > iManufacturer 0
80 > iProduct 0
81 > iSerial 0
82 > bNumConfigurations 1
83 > Configuration Descriptor:
84 > bLength 9
85 > bDescriptorType 2
86 > wTotalLength 32
87 > bNumInterfaces 1
88 > bConfigurationValue 1
89 > iConfiguration 0
90 > bmAttributes 0x80
91 > MaxPower 100mA
92 > Interface Descriptor:
93 > bLength 9
94 > bDescriptorType 4
95 > bInterfaceNumber 0
96 > bAlternateSetting 0
97 > bNumEndpoints 2
98 > bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
99 > bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
100 > bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
101 > iInterface 0
102 > Endpoint Descriptor:
103 > bLength 7
104 > bDescriptorType 5
105 > bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
106 > bmAttributes 2
107 > Transfer Type Bulk
108 > Synch Type None
109 > Usage Type Data
110 > wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
111 > bInterval 0
112 > Endpoint Descriptor:
113 > bLength 7
114 > bDescriptorType 5
115 > bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
116 > bmAttributes 2
117 > Transfer Type Bulk
118 > Synch Type None
119 > Usage Type Data
120 > wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
121 > bInterval 0
126 Princess Leia gets her first look at the Millennium Falcon.
127 Princess Leia:
128 You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!
131 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list